ANSWER Representatives Overview
Autistic and Neurodivergent Scholars Working for Equity in Research (ANSWER), recently established as part of the Autism Intervention Network on Physical Health (AIR-P), is forming to serve as an innovative model for how autistic and non-autistic autism researchers can effectively work together.
ANSWER is a group of autistic and neurodivergent researchers at various points in our careers as academics, lecturers, and consultants. This gives us a unique perspective as both scientists and lived-experience experts, with which to assess the merit of the proposed research projects and their relevance to improving the lives of autistic people.
We are seeking ANSWER Representatives to work alongside our research nodes and committees. Two ANSWER Representatives will be assigned to support each AIR-P Network Node and Committee. There are six higher workload/commitment nodes/committees and four lower workload/commitment nodes/committees.
Ten ANSWER Reps will each sit on:
- 1 higher workload/commitment node/committee (i.e., ICR, Scholars, Gender, Genetics, Health Systems, Big Data), along with
- 1 lower workload/commitment node/committee (i.e., LEND, Primary Care, Neurology, Community/Lifestyles)
General Responsibilities for all ANSWER Rep Positions:
- Sit on two AIR-P nodes/committees as the ANSWER representative
- For each node/committee, ANSWER reps will attend (at minimum) two 2-hr meetings per year in which the node leaders will present node/committee projects and activities
- Following the presentation of projects and activities, ANSWER reps will provide suggestions and feedback and will be invited to help set the priorities of the node in upcoming time periods
- ANSWER reps will complete approximately 3-4 reviews annually for Infrastructure for Collaborative Research (ICR), AIR-P Cureus Channel, and/or Scholar’s applications
- ANSWER reps will read and respond to email communications from the AIR-P Network
Remuneration for ANSWER Reps:
- $2500 USD per year or $625 USD per quarter
- We expect time commitments to amount to approximately 50 hours per year. Rates were calculated based on the rate of ~$50/hour.
Important notes about remuneration:
- The provided amount is intended as a stipend. Members are responsible for ensuring they align their workload with the stipend provided, as additional compensation for hours worked beyond this agreement is not covered under the current terms.
- UCLA mandates that all ANSWER Reps (i.e., UCLA vendors) have liability insurance during their tenure. If you do not have liability insurance, it can be purchased through UCLA (Approximately $750 per year) or another insurance provider.
How to Apply
Applications are due by midnight (PST) on February 12, 2024. Please submit your application package to AIRP@mednet.ucla.edu
Application Packages should include:
- A cover letter / personal statement (1-2 pages is appropriate)
- A copy of your CV (NIH biosketch is appropriate, but any CV style will be accepted)
- The names and email addresses of 2-3 references
- Node / Committee Preference Table
Please use the following in your subject line: ANSWER Rep applicant
Instructions for cover letter and personal statement:
- Please share your lived experiences with autism, neurodiversity, disability, and/or other diversity experiences (if you feel comfortable doing so).
- What areas of expertise do you have that you will bring to the role of ANSWER Rep?
- What is your prior experience or expertise in promoting the health and well-being of autistic people?
- Other examples might include university committee work, participatory autism research experience, experience participating in a large research network, mentorship experience, experience serving as a reviewer in an academic setting, etc.
- Complete a preference table to indicate your top three (3) choices for HC nodes / committees and your top three (3) choices for LC nodes / committees. The lists below can be used for reference.
Note: If you feel that you are NOT a good fit for one or more of the nodes or committees listed, you can let us know by choosing “Not interested” from the drop-down menu.